Monday, March 28, 2011

Kitchener; Downtown on Day 1 of the Waterloo Region Skills Competition

Between the painted lines

Every year the Waterloo Region Public & Catholic Board participate in a skills competition. They have competitions in everything from cabinet making to hair dressing to my person favourite, photography. I was lucky enough to be one of two co-chairs this year. I had the opportunity to help with some of the initial planning, helping select the theme and today watch 20 students from the Public Board take, edit and print photos which they all hope will land them in one of the top 3 spots.

The theme this year: Take a picture that tells a story. The day broke down as follows: 


830-10: Walk around downtown Kitchener taking pictures and creating their interpretation of the theme
1030-1230: Create and print a contact sheet of their 20 best pictures and edit their best image and print it as an 8 x 10
The Stag Shop Smokes
130-230: Attempt to replicate the alterations of a stock image. This was fused with brief personal interviews and followed by feedback. 


It was great to watch the students move through this process and to see the results of the efforts. I am looking forward to see what tomorrow will bring. But, I had no intentions of letting the students have all the fun!


Although I kept the theme in mind I was more interested in experimenting with Hoya Circular Polarizing Filter. 


I have been reading more about filters lately and have had this filter since December. I never took the time to use it so decided that today was as good as any other day. 
No Filter


With Filter














I don't often see dramatic changes on my LCD screen but I noticed this difference. It also 'told the story' of the Stag Shop which caught fire on Sunday. I couldn't believe that it was still smoking when I arrived.

It is still on my lens and when I head back out tomorrow with the Catholic Board I plan to test it out as soon as I head out and before my hands freeze!

Where the neon sign once read...


Until tomorrow...





No comments:

Post a Comment